Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Sambal Goreng Ikan Teri (Ikan Bilis)


I haven't ate this tiny anchovies (which is very popular in South East Asia) since I moved to United States, I seen them in the Chinese grocery store, but for some reason I never tempted to buy it. Perhaps I know that I am the only one who is going to eat it, and that is no point of buying it. But, since my mom is visiting us this time, plus my sister also move back to the States, I take the opportunity of making our favorite anchovies recipe. The recipe is actually from my mom recipe, she always cook the anchovies this way. It is so simple, and easy to prepare, as usual, she never measure the ingredients, but since I have sister that doesn't really know how cook, and always need a guide on how much ingredients need for each recipe, I just have to weigh/measure everything for this purpose. Anyway, we ate this with steam Japanese rice, and some simple saute Asian green. Wow, it was so delicious! It really bring back good memory when we were  growing up in Indonesia :).



Sambal Goreng Ikan Ikan Teri


recipe courtesy of my mom :)


Serve 6


6 oz dried small anchovies


4 to 5 small red shallots, sliced


1 clove garlic, sliced


4 red chilies, sliced


1 teaspoon fish sauce


1 teaspoon sugar


1/4 teaspoon white pepper powder


2 tbs canola oil


In a large skillet set oven medium high heat, stir fry the anchovies with one tablespoon oil until they turn into golden color. The time will varies depending the size of anchovies you are using, the smaller they are,  the more they tend to burn quite easily, so it is important to stir them continuously. Mine took about 1 minute. Remove onto a plate, and wipe the skillet and return it to the stove. Add the remaining oil, heat until the oil is hot enough before adding sliced shallots. Fry until shallot is wilted, then add  garlic and chili, stir fry for 10 seconds. Return anchovies to the skillet, along with fish sauce, sugar, white pepper powder. Stir fry just enough to mix the ingredients together, about a minute or so. Taste - adjust seasoning as needed. Remove from the heat, serve with simple steam rice, and saute Asian green.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy